Saturday 12 January 2013

A treasure trove - Vinnies at Paddington



Following my recent post about the art of thrift shopping, I’ve decided to occasionally feature key op shops that I either scout out (see what I did there?) in my travels or are among my existing favourites.

I can’t think of a better op shop to launch this idea than this great yellow dame at 16 Latrobe Terrace, Paddington.

This Vinnies op shop is found in the stunning and heritage listed Foresters Hall.
 
This store has become one of my favourite Brisbane op shops because it hasn’t followed others  in trendy suburbs by becoming either too wanky, too expensive or (and this is happening way too much) full of brands and labels that companies have got rid of because it’s not sold at retail. 

While the latter is ok, it's off putting to see brand new items only selling for $5 less than what they were listed at retail. Op shops aren't designer reject shops. If you put them in op shops, mark them accordingly.
 
This Vinnies is set in an old style community hall with two levels.  At all times this op shop is packed to the brim of goodies. From modern pieces, shoes, bags, furniture, kitchen items and even a disco ball hanging centre stage of the old hall, you can always find something.

Then you come to the back end (on second tier up stairs) where you find the vintage and retro section, which in my opinion has to be one of the best in Brisbane to date.

Here you will find moderately priced items, such as formal wear, shirts, skirts and even leather jackets, from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and some 90s. I have found a retro pair of Levis and an old knee length red leather jacket from the 70s in this section for only $27. The dry cleaning cost me more!

This area also has a section dedicated to beautiful pieces that the savvy volunteers know are a good buy. For example, last time I went I took my beautiful friend Naomi and we found her a Charlie Brown silk cocktail dress (from last season). This stunning dress – still with new tags listing the retail price at $398 – was selling just for$12! That’s right, it had never been worn and it still had tags on the dress.

 
Now that’s why I op shop. Not because I’m a tight arse (a little of that too I suppose), but because it’s the thrill of the find.

When we found that, we both felt like we had just won the ultimate of all lotteries. While I’ll never get my head around the idea of someone paying that retail and then never wearing it, I’m secretly glad they do as otherwise I would never wear brands. Ha ha ha ha

Anyhow back to the store. The back section is a treasure trove of vintage finds at reasonable prices. You need a bit of time to go through the racks.

Back near the counter and entry, you can take the narrow creaky steps up to the gallery, which overlooks the hall. Here you can find funky evening wear and dress-ups, including costumes, masks, pirate vests, karate and Hawaiian fancy dress outfits.

It’s a shop that has never let me down. Give it a go.








2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip off! I'm moving to Brisbane soon so I will have to check it out.
    -Rhiannon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rhi, Good news. When are you down here? Where abouts? We must catch up.
    S

    ReplyDelete